Unix Systems Engineer
Geneva, IL 60134 US
- possess a solid understanding of computing system concepts such as scheduling, I/O, networking, and file systems.
- have experience working with UNIX-based operating systems and have strong command line interface skills.
- hold expertise in scripting languages like Bash and Python, version control systems, and configuration management tools such as Puppet or Ansible.
- be able to resolve system and service operational problems and communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Have experience defining SLA and KPIs, analyzing, diagnosing, and monitoring system and service performance, gathering user requirements, and providing feedback on system and service projects.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, engineering, or a related field from an accredited institution or equivalent work experience in IT or computer science.
- UNIX shell scripting and Python
- Strong oral and written communication skills are essential for this role, as well as the ability to collaborate with teams across different time zones, produce quality work, and meet deadlines.
- Prior experience with batch systems like HTCondor and Slurm, familiarity with container technologies such as Docker, Podman, etc.
- An understanding of container orchestration tools like Kubernetes, OpenShift, Docker Swarm, etc.
- Experience with distributed computing systems and grid computing technologies such as distributed file systems (CVMFS), compute entry points (HTCondor CE), and service monitoring tools and technologies such as Grafana, Prometheus, etc., is also preferable.