Title: Principal Engineer
Location: Annapolis, MD
Hire Type: Contract to hire
Sterling has helped build careers for thousands of professionals like yourself. Our expert recruiters support you at every step in the process and as a Best of Staffing company, Sterling provides exciting work with exceptional employers across the U.S.
As a contract employee of Sterling, you are eligible to receive a Full Employee Benefits Package that includes paid time off, paid holidays, 3 medical plans to choose from, dental & vision plans, 401(k), and an Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) plan.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Leads engineering related activities on one or more projects.
• Coordinate assigned activities with other job families.
• Manage the development and implementation of family related goals, objectives, and policies.
• Work with the Human Resources Coordinator to hire new engineering talent and conduct performance reviews with existing employees.
• Manage the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area.
• Select, train, motivate and evaluate assigned personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures; and guide less senior engineer towards licensure.
• Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the department budget; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approve expenditures and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
• Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of relevant engineering disciplines and maintenance.
• Participate in the development and execution of business development programs and initiatives.
• Ensure engineering team follows Company standards and procedures.
• Provide information, suggestions, advice and technical assistance to city, county and district officials and programs by answering questions, interpreting applicable laws and regulations and other entities to resolve problems.
• Direct and supervise other engineer's activities.
• Although not the primary responsibility of this position, when needed, a Principal Engineer has the ability to perform the responsibilities identified in the Engineer III job description. • Perform other duties as assigned. Work Environment
• Demonstrate the ability to perform all key qualifications of an Engineer III.
• Consistently demonstrates high levels of technical knowledge, ingenuity, and creativity.
• Expert knowledge of engineering principles and practices and the ability to apply them
• The ability to balance multiple tasks, along with strong communication skills is essential.
• The ability to make decisions and find alternative solutions to problems.
• Capacity to conduct and participate in meetings with senior management.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering and substantial professional development required.
• Master’s degree or PhD preferred. • Twenty or more years of progressive
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.