Sterling Engineering, Inc. https://cdn.haleymarketing.com/templates/63335/logos/square_logo.png https://www.sterling-engineering.com https://www.sterling-engineering.com USD 122500 YEAR true
R & D Engineer Senior
Houston, TX 77061 US
2023-03-07 2023-04-20 Employment Type: Permanent Job Category: Project Management Job Number: Dj433659224 Compensation: 122500
Title: Senior R&D Engineer
Location: Houston, TX
Senior R&D Engineer II to develop and validate new product designs for power distribution equipment, including circuit breaker switchgear, from concept to full production. Must have strong Switchgear or New Product Development experience.
- Propose concepts and develop complex level designs for both existing and new product lines.
- Deliver innovative designs that meet profit, cost, quality, and time-to-market metrics.
- Determine and specify design parameters, validate according to standards, and prepare documentation.
- Investigate patentable concepts.
- Oversee validation and testing of components/system or assemblies in the development and validation process.
- Develop test plans based on D/PFMEA, project specifications, industry standards, and reliability and validation requirements for both internal and external laboratories.
- Direct laboratory testing, analysis of data, and create corrective action plans.
- Ensure designs follow established procedures of CAD databases and libraries.
- Proactively identify and mitigate risks to the project.
- Ensure project designs meet requirements of specification and standards while promoting error-proof assembly.
- Prepare written documentation of processes, material requirements, test results, and project activity as required.
- Understand and enforce regulatory document requirements.
- Interface with outside vendors, consultants, and customers.
- Work with third-party vendors to develop high-quality, lowest-cost design options.
- Continuously improve engineering processes including DFX, project and product costs, quality, and project lead times.
- Actively collaborate and provide Engineering support to Sales/Product Management and Manufacturing on new products and processes.
- Active participation and facilitation in Product Development Process.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical, Mechanical Engineering or Power Engineering. Advanced degree preferred.
- 8+ years of progressive experience in Engineering design and/or development on highly technical and innovative projects.
- Able to prioritize and manage time effectively. (Self-motivated and self-managing).
- Working knowledge of electromechanical product design and development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of switchgear and controls.
- Experience with Medium/high voltage electrical power systems.
- Demonstrated complex analytical and problem-solving ability.
- Working knowledge of CAD and analysis tools.
- Advanced knowledge of regulatory standards (ANSI, IEEE, and IEC).
- Working knowledge of materials science, metal forming, machining and finishing.
- Experience creating and reviewing DFMEA and PFMEA process and documents.
- Experience developing projects within a Stage-Gate Process.
- Participation in industry organizations (associations, standards committees, etc.) to stay informed of and to influence industry activities.
- Proven experience with computers; Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, or equivalents.
- Strong technical knowledge in the following categories per discipline:
- Electrical: Current and Voltage Sensors, Power Systems.
- Mechanical: Molded Components or Mechanism Design, castings, and metal fabricated parts.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.