Sterling Engineering, Inc. https://cdn.haleymarketing.com/templates/63335/logos/square_logo.png https://www.sterling-engineering.com https://www.sterling-engineering.com USD 51 69.7 HOUR true
Packaging Design Engineer
North Chicago, IL 60064 US
2023-05-22 2023-06-30 Employment Type: Contract Job Category: Manufacturing / Process Engineering Job Number: NG141354517 Compensation: $51-69.7 / hour
Hire Type: Long-term, Open-ended Contract (W2 employment with full benefits), Onsite
Location: Position can be based in either North Chicago, IL or Irvine, CA
Target Pay Rate: $60.00/hour
As a contract employee of Sterling, you are eligible to receive a Full Employee Benefits Package that includes paid time off, paid holidays, 3 medical plans to choose from, dental & vision plans, 401(k), and an Employee Stock Ownership (ESOP) plan.
The Packaging Design Engineer will work in a pharmaceutical manufacturing environment to develop various packaging concepts for new and existing eye care products. This person will create and develop effective designs to be functional and cost effective. This involves generating ideas and concepts, testing different designs, working with internal engineering and manufacturing teams during the design and manufacturing process. Will provide development, testing, validation, and implementation for product packaging. Will perform a variety of packaging related assignments utilizing a wide range of packaging materials, including but not limited, to primary packaging, secondary packaging and shrink films.
- Create new and revise existing packaging documentation - including bill of materials for packaging, contract packaging specifications, component specifications, and assembly instructions for products, as well as in-house third-party manufactured products and third-party contracted packaging.
- Develops protocols for execution of studies to evaluate performance of packaging components, container/closure integrity, and shipping studies.
- Lead packaging validation activities by ensuring regulatory compliance with 21CFR, part 201, 210, 211.
- Lead impact assessment for owned brands for incoming material testing procedures to determine if additional testing is required or implement new improved test methods for releasing packaging components.
- Investigates new technologies to improve line performance, reduce component costs, decrease cycle times, and improve overall presentation and product integrity.
- Testing and inspection of incoming packaging shipments
- A good general knowledge of different packaging materials such as poly, corrugated, folding cartons, wraps, etc. is helpful when recommending packaging structures and maintaining the specifications database.
- Experience dealing with plant trials is a must. Will coordinate between potential suppliers, purchasing, marketing and production is essential to getting trials completed in a timely fashion.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging Science, Engineering, or a closely related discipline.
- 5 years of professional experience designing packaging (preferably for eye care products, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, or medical devices)
- Excellent knowledge of core packaging engineering, packaging tests, and test equipment.
- Familiar with manufacturing methods, set up operations, lot sizing, standard times, actual comparisons, and time studies.
- Able to generate 2D drawings.
- Ability to travel 10-20% of the time, if needed (not a regular occurrence).