Sterling Engineering, Inc. https://cdn.haleymarketing.com/templates/63335/logos/square_logo.png https://www.sterling-engineering.com https://www.sterling-engineering.com USD 35.00 HOUR true
Sturtevant, WI 53177 US
2023-03-09 2023-05-01 Employment Type: Permanent Job Category: Mechanical Design Job Number: CA591412638 Compensation: 35.00
Title: Mechanical Designer
Location: Sturtevant, WI
Sterling has helped build careers for thousands for professionals like yourself. Our expert recruiters support you at every step in the process and as a Best of Staffing company, Sterling provides exciting work with exceptional employers across the U.S.
Hire Type: Direct Hire - $28-$35 per hour depending on experience.
This role is responsible for generating sound concepts to solve challenges in the design, manufacturing, deployment and continuous improvement of dry products packaging machines. These concepts need to be based on scientific engineering principals. Responsible for supporting the mechanical scope of the project from conception through manufacturing and support in the field. Instrumental in supporting internal and external customers with clear communication of concepts, designs, and technical integration both written and verbal with direction from other members of engineering staff. A high level of creativity, problem solving ability, attention to detail, and accountability are essential to this position.
- Understands machine requirements through project kick-off activities, interfacing with the customer, the design envelope, manufacturing process and material capabilities, tolerance stack up conditions, styling goals, and how these drive every surface and feature of every part.
- Creates mathematically verified concepts to resolve packaging challenges under the direction of senior designers/engineers.
- Evaluates and selects components for the products under the direction of senior designers/engineers.
- Redesigns standard products, improving quality and productivity, while reducing costs under the direction of senior designers/engineers
- Provides technical resource support to manufacturing by answering questions about intended designs.
- Provides technical resource support to Sales by creating layout drawings for potential customers.
- Provides technical resource support to the Service department by addressing problems that may occur on machines. Displays awareness of the effect of warranty and customer dissatisfaction on the business.
- Participates on cross-functional teams to address and resolve manufacturing, design and quality problems, and ensure the continuous, on-going improvement of processes and methods.
- Uses prioritization matrix to properly prioritize efforts.
- Complies with all quality and safety regulations.
- Suggests ideas for new products and improvements to existing designs.
- Other duties as requested by direct supervisor.
- Familiarity with a variety of industry concepts, practices, and procedures.
- A desire to learn from members of the engineering team, others within the family and the industry as a whole and apply the knowledge obtained.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Proven ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete or low context variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Proven root cause identification skills including testing or measuring parts.
- Proficient in clear written and verbal communications that documents the steps to be taken and the data needed.
- Proven ability to provide vision for elegant design.
- Excellent judgement, creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Proven understanding of duty cycle designs (loads, boundary conditions, vibrations, temperatures, etc.), and how it is expected to perform.
- Proven ability to effectively select production material / finish / process / design concept by as measured by meeting the customers performance, durability, reliability, and cost targets
- Proficient in creating 3D and 2D detailed drawings using Autodesk Inventor.
- Proven ability to understand the other stakeholders’ jobs well enough to predict how long it will take them to do their function and what the result of their work will provide.
- Proven ability to perform self-observation, recognizing own strengths and weaknesses.
- Education and Experience/Skills Required:
- Requires an associate degree in Mechanical Design Technology or equivalent.
- Technology/Equipment Proficiencies Required:
- Autodesk Inventor and Vault or equivalent in other similar software.
- Proficiency in the use of current Project Management Tools, Executive Resource Planning Systems, and Microsoft suite.
- Proficient in sanitary design concepts for food production and packaging machines (Optional).
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.