Sterling Engineering, Inc. https://cdn.haleymarketing.com/templates/63335/logos/square_logo.png https://www.sterling-engineering.com https://www.sterling-engineering.com USD 80000 85000 YEAR true
Electrical Controls Engineer
Houston, TX 77086 US
2023-05-23 2023-06-30 Employment Type: Permanent Job Category: Electrical Engineering Job Number: Ca772474522 Compensation: $80000-85000 / year
Title: Electrical Controls Engineer
Location: Houston, TX
We are currently seeking a highly skilled and motivated Electrical Controls Engineer to join our team. As an Electrical Controls Engineer, you will be responsible for designing electric motor controls for overhead cranes and hoists, as well as working on applications and specifications of Magnetic Motor Starters, Relays, and AC inverters. If you have a strong background in electrical engineering, drafting, and programming, along with a passion for innovative design and problem-solving, we would love to hear from you.
- Calculate wire sizes and determine overload protection for crane models up to 800 volts DC and 4160 volts AC based on schematics and customer specifications, ensuring compliance with applicable electrical codes and standards.
- Collaborate with engineers, service technicians, and cross-functional teams to identify and resolve manufacturing problems in both shop and field environments. Research, define issues, and propose effective solutions by communicating with relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare single line diagrams, panel layouts, and interconnect drawings using schematics or customer-provided information.
- Size and specify purchase components and create bills of materials (BOMs) by reviewing company standards, vendor information, and leveraging product knowledge.
- Provide input for design improvements to enhance functionality and reduce costs, working closely with the chief engineer.
- Modify and improve existing circuit designs to address field problems, material obsolescence, or other requirements defined by managers and customers.
- Design electrical controls for motors, drives, and related components, considering product knowledge, applicable electrical codes, clearances, and company Electrical Standards. Collaborate with mechanical engineering and manufacturing teams when necessary.
- Develop connection and cable diagrams, as well as general arrangement drawings, incorporating product knowledge, relevant electrical codes, and company Electrical Standards.
- Travel to project sites as needed to attend meetings or troubleshoot control systems in the event of major problems.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) or Electrical Engineering Technology (BSEET).
- 3 to 5 years of experience in electrical engineering and drafting.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD 2016 or Zuken E3 for drafting purposes.
- Experience in PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) and HMI (Human-Machine Interface) programming preferred.
- Familiarity with setting up variable frequency drives (VFDs), particularly with Rockwell, Siemens, or Danfoss PLC/VFD programming experience, is desirable.
- Knowledgeable about the application of the NEC (National Electrical Code) and its electrical standards.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills to effectively interact with various stakeholders.
If you are passionate about electrical engineering, enjoy working on challenging projects, and thrive in a dynamic and collaborative environment, we invite you to apply for the position of Electrical Controls Engineer. Join our team and contribute to the development of cutting-edge electrical control systems for the crane and hoist industry.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and any relevant work samples to [email address]. We appreciate all applications, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. #SP