ATO Hardware Solutions Engineer
La Grange, IL 60525 US
Title: ATO Hardware Solutions Engineer
Location: Hybrid - 3 days/week on site in La Grange, IL 60525
Alternate Locations: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX 76177
Duration and hire type: Contract or Contract-to-Hire
Seeking an accomplished ATO Hardware Engineer working on the Train Autonomy and Digital Solutions team. This position will facilitate the design, implementation, testing of prototypes, and deployment of hardware systems. This role will enable innovative, strategic, and high-tech solutions for the rail industry through the application of specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities. Work involves independent judgement, problem solving skills, resourcefulness, teamwork, and creativity in ambiguous situations.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to define product requirements, a product roadmap, and requirements specifications for railroad application hardware.
- Develops designs which consider lifetime support, intellectual property, security, and obsolescence mitigation which satisfy AAR and ANSI requirements for railroads.
- Works with internal stakeholders and contract manufacturers to ensure that manufacturing processes result in on-time acceptance and delivery of hardware while considering current macro constraints.
- Aligns and assists hardware test engineers in the development of production test plans, test procedures, test software, and test fixture documentation for hardware developed for railroad applications.
- Establishes design and quality methods, specifications, documentation, verification, simulations, best practices and hardware design standards which satisfy AAR and ANSI requirements for railroads.
- Resolves technical issues and failures at the supplier’s facility as well as in production.
- Develops required documentation for the deployment of new hardware to production.
- Leads and reviews designs for completeness, accuracy, cost efficiency, and compliance to specifications.
- Performs project management functions with respect to hardware development activities to include project initiation, planning, execution, control, and closeout of projects.
- Prototypes new products and evaluates first articles.
- Proficient in the use of soldering irons, multimeters, general hardware test tools, and oscilloscopes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of NPD processes and experience developing and delivering new products / solutions
- Firm understanding of electronic schematics, printed circuit board design, board boot procedures, and board testing.
- Knowledge and experience with Unix/Linux platforms.
- Previous experience identifying, analyzing, and resolving system problems
- Be familiar with computer networking, LAN and WAN switches, security.
- Proven experience developing technical products in the electronics and digital space preferably with experience in the rail industry.
- Solid understanding of computer information processing fundamentals and best practices
- Conversant in software design and implementation
- Analytical, conceptual, and troubleshooting abilities
- Experience conducting technology, trends, standards and products research for trade-off analysis
Required Education & Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, software engineering, or electrical engineering from an ABET accredited university or college.
- 10 to 15 Years of Hardware Engineering Design Experience.
Preferred Education & Credentials:
- 5-10 Years of Experience with Class I Railroad Engineering to include products such as Energy Management, Distributed Power, or Remote-Control Locomotive Systems.
Overview: Sterling Engineering / Staffing has a rich history of delivering top talent to our clients. We are a nationwide Staffing Firm with over 100 clients and works primarily with Fortune 1000 corporations.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.