Field Service Technician
Schaumburg, IL 60173 US
Title: Field Service Technician
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Sterling has helped build careers for thousands of professionals like yourself. Our expert recruiters support you at every step in the process and as a Best of Staffing company, Sterling provides exciting work with exceptional employers across the U.S.
Hire Type: Direct Hire
The Field Service Technician has the primary responsibility of providing installation, troubleshooting, diagnostic, repair, and maintenance support with total customer satisfaction in mind and ensuring the users of our machines are satisfied with its performance. This individual
must have a customer focused attitude and demonstrate strong repair and troubleshooting skills and knowledge.
repair to automated packaging equipment.
• Acts as immediate technical support for all field service issues on-site or via phone support to
customers or colleagues
• Review, evaluate, and resolve machine problems at customer sites, or by phone, with limited
• Must assume responsibility and exercise discretion and independent judgment to evaluate, diagnose,
and provide timely, appropriate responses and resolutions to customer problems.
• Read, interpret, and implement as required electrical schematic drawings and interconnection
diagrams, adjust control system parameters, variable frequency drives and PLC IO as required to
meet the performance requirements of the equipment.
• Troubleshoot and test suspect components, determine potential causes of malfunction or failures and
implement repairs to restore the equipment to working order to meet performance requirements.
• Provide on-site and off-site training to customers (and in some events other fellow employees) with the
overall intention of instructing and/or recommending methods that will improve and/or enhance the
performance of the machinery and optimize its usage for their needs.
• Ability to effectively document and communicate ideas, strategies, problems, and solutions in both
verbal and written forms to co-workers and customers.
• Documents service and installation actions by completing forms, reports, logs, and updating records.
• Must be able to read and interpret blueprints. Read and interpret tolerances and information relevant
to the drawing. Must be able to create drawings to share with team for parts needed (hand-drawn
blueprint is ok for this).
• Must be able to document changes to electrical prints (hand-drawn blueprint is ok for this).
• Able to use and understand metric/standard tape measures and scales.
• Seeks out knowledge to become expert in industry, packaging machines, and technical skillsets.
• Able to assemble an entire product or component of a product.
• Maintain a clean and safe work area.
• Establish and maintain a positive relationship with customers, support and follow-up on customers’
concerns and problems
• Provide support in-house, when not traveling to customer sites.
• Willing to travel 90-100% to customer sites throughout the U.S. and sometimes internationally.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• 5-10 years of related experience or equivalent required.
• Must be able to provide own tools.
• Expert in diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing electrical and mechanical machine issues.
• Minimum Associates Degree in Electronic Technology, Industrial Controls or Electrical
Engineering, or similar technical education through the military
• Must have a valid Driver’s License and able to travel to field sites, as necessary.
• Ability to read electrical schematics
• Ability to troubleshoot electrical wiring
• Mechanical proficiencies
• Strong organizational and teamwork skills
• Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs. for an extended duration.
• Must be able to clearly speak, read, write, and understand English.
• Must be able to talk and hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and others
within the company 100% of time.
• Will have some knowledge of all specifications required to produce products in a similar
• Will have a working knowledge of process improvement methodology.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Email or other company provided programs. Record work
hours, expense reports, and complete field service reports.
• Must be able to travel at any time to various customer locations, which includes having or being able
to obtain a passport.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information